kde3support

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Sat Feb 25 21:02:59 GMT 2006

On Friday 10 February 2006 21:16, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On #kde4-devel there was some chatting about the idea of dropping the
> kde3support library.  Anything that is '3support' is not meant as a final
> solution, but only as a porting help (or to avoid porting too much).
(...)

> So for those who have ported your qt3 apps to Qt4 I inquire as to what you
> did.  Do you still use the support libraries, how long did you use them,
> were they usefull?

As I have tried to fix KBabel so that it could compile (one day...), I can
tell a little more about the issue.

I think that qt3support and kde3support are very needed when converting,
otherwise the first step is much too high. I find that the mandatory changes
are already quite a high step.

It is quite frustrating to have to check error after error to fix them, it
would be even more frustrating if some errors were not quickly fixed by
putting a 3 in the right place.

I hope that we will not lose too many applications because the developer gets
frustrated and stops porting his application, because he has not the time to
really take care of it.

(As for automatic tools, there are nice, but they do not do all the work.)

> -Benjamin Meyer

Have a nice day!