A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 23 15:15:33 GMT 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 02:43, Richard Dale wrote:
> Fitt's 'law' in one of the dumbest UI ideas out there now we all have large
> screens - it just isn't the easiest way to find anything by putting it
> right at the top left of the screen. And the arrogant way he called it a
> 'law' makes it even more annoying.

well, to be fair, that's not particularly what fitt's law is. there's actually
a few bits to it such as the easiest (and therefore "largest") target is the
one already under the mouse; that larger targets are easier to hit; and that
screen edges (by nature of them being "infinite" in size since you can move
the mouse all you want and it stays in that 1 pixel area) are enormous.

the "put it at the top of the screen" simplification has led to some silly
ideas though, i do agree =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo