Elektra backend for KDE

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 21 17:41:40 GMT 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 10:40, Thomas Braxton wrote:
> I just thought of something, If there are no files, then our idea of how to
> determine which backend to use will need to be rethought. The idea was to
> have env vars specify which directories contain which kind of files, and
> have KConfig choose the correct backend based on that, but if there are no
> files then there are no dirs either, so how are we supposed to know if we
> are supposed to use the Elektra backend?

i've already re-thought this over the weekend ... for now i'm just doing a
simple "KDEDIR vs KDEDIRS vs KDEHOME" split. so $KDEDIR may be INI files,
$KDEDIRS (yes, that would mean it would be all of them) may be LDB, and
$KDEHOME may be something else. this will introduce 3 new environment
variables:

KDEPREFIX_CONFIG_FORMAT
KDEDIRS_CONFIG_FORMAT
KDEHOME_CONFIG_FORMAT

this can obviously be set per user, so different kiosk profiles can have
different settings for those env vars. this would probably only be of
interest for KDEDIRS_CONFIG_FORMAT.

thoughts?

--
Aaron J. Seigo