Elektra backend for KDE

Avi Alkalay avi at alkalay.net
Mon Feb 20 18:23:06 GMT 2006

On 2/20/06, Thomas Braxton <brax108 at cox.net> wrote:

> I just thought of something, If there are no files, then our idea of how
> determine which backend to use will need to be rethought. The idea was to
> have env vars specify which directories contain which kind of files, and
> have
> KConfig choose the correct backend based on that, but if there are no
> files
> then there are no dirs either, so how are we supposed to know if we are
> supposed to use the Elektra backend? Are you intending to replace all of
> KDE's config files with Elektra, as an all or nothing exercise? The
> intention
> was to allow the admin/user to be able to mix & match backends on a per
> directory basis. Will this still be possible with the Elektra backend?

I don't know.

I just want to make KDE be able to store its configurations on Elektra. If
it has to be the only backend or not, it depends on how KConfig classes were
architected.
I will have an opinion when I'll have the chance to see the classes.

On Elektra we defined the $KDB_BACKEND envar to point us to the backend to
use.
So we are able to make things like:

$ KDB_BACKEND=filesys kdb export -R user/sw > myconfigs.xml
$ KDB_BACKEND=berkeleydb kdb import myconfigs.xml

So we are copying keys from one backend to another.

Regards,
Avi