Date/time class changes to handle extended date ranges

R.F. Pels ruurd at tiscali.nl
Mon Feb 20 13:35:56 GMT 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 14.20, Frans Englich wrote:

> * I would raise the limitation to -9999 to +9999. If you can handle this
> range you can handle the value space of W3C XML Schema's(WXS) date/time
> types[1]. It wouldn't surprise me if this is in your interest, since WXS is
> increasingly used in the industry, and gaining ground in the database
> community. (for example, my scenarios in XQuery would still need an
> "ExtDate" class if QDate can't handle that range).
>
> Also, I don't see the drawback with an even higher limitation(the more the
> better). For example, KStars(that's the one using kdeedu's extdate lib,
> right?) would probably still have to use ExtDate even if QDate went to
> -9999/9999.

Those are good points. Mind you, the specification of WXS DateTime includes a
flag indicating wether it is timezoned. Now, how are we going to convince TT
to add that too because frankly making QDate WXS-compatible is a Good Thing
(TM) IMHO.

--
R.F. Pels,  3e Rompert 118,  5233 AL  's-Hertogenbosch,  The Netherlands
+31736414590        ruurd at tiscali.nl       http://home.tiscali.nl/~ruurd