Date/time class changes to handle extended date ranges

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Feb 20 13:20:00 GMT 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 12:06, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> David Jarvie wrote:
> >But if QDate could be amended to allow a greater range of dates, that
> > would be a better solution, as already mentioned in this thread earlier
> > today. Can Trolltech be persuaded to relax the QDate limits?
>
> http://www.trolltech.com/developer/tasktracker.html?method=entry&id=102140
>
> It's scheduled for 4.2.0.

Some comments:

* The reason to QDate's current limitation is, I presume, the interpretation
problem with early dates. Since you are removing the limit, it could be an
idea to make the documentation discuss this aspect.

* I would raise the limitation to -9999 to +9999. If you can handle this range
you can handle the value space of W3C XML Schema's(WXS) date/time types[1].
It wouldn't surprise me if this is in your interest, since WXS is
increasingly used in the industry, and gaining ground in the database
community. (for example, my scenarios in XQuery would still need an "ExtDate"
class if QDate can't handle that range).

Also, I don't see the drawback with an even higher limitation(the more the
better). For example, KStars(that's the one using kdeedu's extdate lib,
right?) would probably still have to use ExtDate even if QDate went to
-9999/9999.

Cheers,

		Frans

1.