RPATH for installed binaries ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Feb 19 17:47:35 GMT 2006

Dirk Mueller wrote:
>On Sunday, 19. February 2006 13:10, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> I've seen distributions that install the whole of KDE in a separate
>> dir (/usr/lib/kde3) except for the application binaries.
>
>And why does  a distribution need RPATHs? That would be broken. RPATHs
> is a bit more of a developer convenience, and shouldn't be used by
> distributions.

To install KDE somewhere outside of /usr and not have to fiddle
with /etc/ld.so.conf. Of course they could, but rpath is much more
convenient. And since it's there, why not use it?

Given the sheer number of KDE libraries and programs, coupled with the
sheer number of junk in /usr/lib, it makes perfect sense to not add to
that junk.

Then again, /usr/bin doesn't get any cleaner...
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."