Removing aRts

Matthias Kretz Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Feb 16 19:17:05 GMT 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 18:48, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> So, can we remove aRts from trunk/KDE ? I think --without-arts is already
> the default anyways.

I see no reason for keeping arts in trunk/KDE, it might be usefull to move it
to trunk/ instead, but since it's probably only going to bitrot there we can
remove it now.

kdelibs has a subdir called arts, in there is artsmessage, the tool aRts uses
to notify the user graphically, and some KDE APIs for simplifying aRts usage.
That can also be removed from kdelibs, IMHO.

As I'd like to create an aRts backend for Phonon I will probably reactivate
some of that code - but in a different module. This, btw, is another question
I have: where should Phonon backends go? trunk/KDE/kdemultimedia/? And when
the decision for a default backend is made, that one backend is moved to
kdelibs, or kdebase?

Also there are a few more places in kdelibs where aRts was used, that I'm
porting to Phonon in the kdelibs-phonon branch. So if anybody wants to work
on that please contact me.

--
C'ya
        Matthias