Build broken by recent svn checkin

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue Feb 14 11:02:47 GMT 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, David Faure wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 February 2006 00:34, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
>> On Monday 13 February 2006 17:33, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>>> 1. I can set it up so that an email is sent somewhere when something like
>>> this breaks. Should I send it to either of these mailing lists?  Or are
>>> there key people that want this email?
>>
>> Gosh, so are these kitware folk (er, that would be William?) committed to
>> providing this dashboard indefinitely? For multiple branches? Have they got
>> instructions on how to submit builds or is this a secret cmake thing aiming
>> at build-system lock-in? Will it work for branch?
>
> Do you really have to be aggressive to people who nicely provide a solution
> to the "nightly build" problem?

Yeah, sorry. I'll point to

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70179-0.html?tw=wn_index_2

though as a semi excuse. I should have written

"Hey, that's neat! are these kitware folk (er, that would be William?)
committed to providing this dashboard indefinitely? For multiple branches?
Have they got instructions on how to submit builds?"

> For instructions on how to submit builds, it's as simple as "make Experimental",
> and since it's opensource you can certainly find out what that does at the lower
> level - where did you get any paranoiac idea about lock-in?

The instructions Alex posted were CMake-specific; does this mean that
unsermake-based builds support this as well? I'm just not *sure*, and
dicking with build systems three times a day is not my idea of a good
time.

>> That, coupled with the notion that noone actually *cares* about automated builds or looks at the
>> results, have slowed down work considerably.
> I do care (remember that I asked you when the EBN buildbots were down?), but it's much
> easier to care with automatic mail notifications than with  a webpage that
> one has to remember to go to.

OK, that provides useful feedback. Now I'll just hope William hasn't seen
my outburst here on -core-devel and get in touch to see what we can do
wrt. buildbotting from the EBN with Dartboard.