kde3support

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Sun Feb 12 20:01:11 GMT 2006

On Sunday 12 February 2006 11:12, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> >Why to kill compatibility (and predictability) after all these "let's
> > make DCOP a selling point for KDE" talks?

Well, KDE3 applications will still talk to other KDE3 applications as well.

One problem is that it is hard to do, since AFAIK all that dcopserver knows
about the passing data is that it is a QByteArray.  That is, the dcopserver
couldn't automatically transform a QString into the DBUS equivalent, because
the dcopserver doesn't know that the destination is expecting a QString.

We could manually interpret some of the well known interfaces as Thiago
mentioned, but it is an impossible general-case problem.  Especially for
applications that never had a DCOP IDL (their DCOP interface is entirely
in-code).

This is true even if we're not switching to DBUS, since the on-wire interface
to QByteArray of some types changed in Qt 4.  An application would have to
manually ask for the old interface to ensure compatibility.  This isn't as
difficult a problem as we could fix it by altering dcopidl for the 99% of
applications that use a DCOP IDL.  But I'd hate to be the one trying to test
that setup. :-/

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne