Support for out of prefix installation

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Feb 8 12:22:07 GMT 2006

Martijn Klingens wrote:
>> Maybe we can have a 3rd option: install into ${prefix} and symlink
>> into /usr. Some kind of "broken symlink removal" tool should be run
>> every now and then to clean up.
>
>Interesting idea. Downside is that it's not portable to e.g. Windows, so
> it poses problems for the build system to work around this somehow on
> such systems. If you know a way to solve it I like the idea in general.
> :)

Windows has .lnk files and Qt4 supports them as if they were symlinks,
with minor differences in behaviour (relative-path handling). So, as long
as the build system can create symlinks or .lnk files and does it for
absolute pathnames, we should be ok.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.