Support for out of prefix installation

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Feb 8 12:04:18 GMT 2006

Martijn Klingens wrote:
>Suppose we install a 3rd party app in $APPDIR, then for this application
> (and *ONLY* for this application) the resources should be looked for in
> $KDEHOME, $APPDIR, $KDEDIRS. If kbuildsycoca could create multiple
> sycocas (one for $KDEHOME, one for $APPDIR and one for all shared
> lower-level dirs combined) and merge them then we can keep the
> performance level up and also keep apps in their own prefix. The
> existing full sycoca can (and probably should) be kept for performance
> reasons for the apps that reside in $KDEDIR.

We already *do* that on Linux and on other platforms where we can
reasonably well determine what the application executable is. (On Linux,
we readlink(2) /proc/self/exe). The prefix is then added to the list of
resource dirs.

So an application requesting an icon will find it is in own prefix even if
it's not registered in KDEDIRS or XDG_DATA_DIRS. This even works for
libraries looking resources up when the the library's prefix is neither
registered nor the same as the application's.

The issue here is for the shared resources: those that are supposed to be
found by other applications., like .desktop menu files, MIME types, etc.

Maybe we can have a 3rd option: install into ${prefix} and symlink
into /usr. Some kind of "broken symlink removal" tool should be run every
now and then to clean up.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.