Support for out of prefix installation

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Feb 8 00:19:14 GMT 2006

KDE's resource handling (icons, menu items, help files, etc.) is based on the
assumption that applications are installed in a fixed number of prefixes
(e.g. /usr, /usr/local, /opt/kde3 depending on distribution).

Unfortunately this assumption isn't in line with the desire from end-users and
third party developers to install applications elsewhere. The best known
examples of this are autopackage and the LSB/FHS guideline to install
applications entirely under /opt/<package>/

There are two different ways to address the problem associated with out of
prefix installation: the first one is to tell out-of-prefix applications to
install certain resources within a designated prefix. (e.g. under /usr/share
or /usr/local/share), the second one is to provide applications with a way to
register their location with the "system" (e.g. applications can
edit /etc/man.config to add additional locations for manual pages and could
edit /etc/kderc to add additional KDE resource directories), effectively
extending the set of prefix'es.

The assumption here is that the application is installed as root.

Which approach would be better?

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Linux Client Architect - Channel Software Operation - Intel Corporation