libxklavier translation (was: Re: is new lib dependency possible for 3.5.2?)

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Fri Feb 3 12:23:10 GMT 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 03:13, Jens Herden wrote:
> > So for KDE4, I suppose that we could use directly the library and ask the
> > translators to translate libxklavier directly at freedesktop.org.
>
> AFAIK the translation is hosted somewhere else (on SourceForge?) not on
> freedesktop.org.

Good perhaps. But what counts is what is in the libxklavier source.

> > Again an alternative would perhaps be a KDE-specific xfree86.xml purged
> > of translations.
>
> Please don't do this! Pulling configuration files into KDE does not make
> sense at all, they will always be in danger to be out of sync.

H'm, yes, i had not thought about distributions having a different file. I had
just thought that during KDE 3.5.x libxklavier would surely not change that
much.

> I would say the right way is to use the translations from xfree86.xml (or
> base.xml?) and only in case there is none use what KDE offers. Others are
> using the same file and translations too. So we should not create our own
> maybe different translations.

Well, I do not particularly like "translations" in KDE that are untranslatable
because the library has already a translation. However for KDE 3.5.x, we have
perhaps not much of an alternative, :-(

> Jens

Have a nice day!