is new lib dependency possible for 3.5.2?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Feb 1 13:51:13 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 01:59, Andriy Rysin wrote:
> Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  There's one more thing I'd like to ask. While libxklavier seems to be
> > rather small, it depends on libxml2. If I'm getting kxkb right, there are
> > basically two parts there, one that handles all the configuration and
> > prepares the keymaps in the form of the xkm file and second one that just
> > displays the icon and switches the keymap (and that used to just call
> > setxkbmap in the old days). Would it be possible/difficult to separate
> > these parts completely for KDE4?
> >
> >  So that the configuration part would be just used when the user wants to
> > change something or when the system changes and would prepare and cache
> > the keymaps somewhere and only the second part would be normally needed
> > (which could then additionally be changed to kicker applet or kded module
> > or whatever)? Needing 2M of memory wouldn't make kxkb exactly the most
> > lightweight keyboard switcher.
>
> I think that's very reasonable request, I'll try to make it as modular
> as possible. The only questions is if we want to split *kxkb.so into two
> libraries for that, which may take more memory and CPU instead?

 I'm not sure I get what you mean. Currently there's kxkb (which is actually
more binaries because of kdeinit etc. but that's irrelevant) and there's
kcm_keyboard(?) which is for configuring. My idea is that kxkb's
functionality would be limited to just to displaying the indicator and doing
the actual keymap switch, there would be no dependency on libxklavier as
that's not necessary for this. All the remaining functionality like
configuring, preparing keymaps for kxkb would be done in kcm_keyboard (or
wherever you want actually), kxkb would only do some check that the prepared
keymaps are ok and if not it'd run this second tool to generate them. The
basic idea is that kxkb is as simple as possible and without dependencies on
things like libxklavier/libxml2, the rest are details :).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org