KPasswordEdit and security

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Thu Dec 28 01:36:11 GMT 2006

Le mercredi 27 décembre 2006 00:39, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> On Tuesday 26 December 2006 15:48, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > KPasswordEdit also change the echo mode depending KDE preference (one
> > star/3 stars/no echo), and the at least the possibility to have "no echo"
> > should be kept.
>
> QLineEdit provides support for no echo, but not 3 stars. personally, i
> think the latter is a neat-but-practically-useless feature. if we get rid
> of it we can get rid of an enum and two ctors in that one class.

Yes, but KPasswordEdit also switch to the correct mode according the global
config.

in my opinion, KPasswordEdit should be a simple class like

class KPasswordEdit : public QLineEdit
{ public:
   KPasswordEdit( QWidget * parent = 0 ) : QLineEdit(parent)
   { setEchoMode( KGlobalGonfig.readEntry("Echo Mode") );  }
};

> and if using QSecureArray means we can get non-ascii suppot for password
> entry (what an emberassing bug) then i'm all for a dependance on QCA.

In my opinion, I don't think normal kde application need such level of
security.