KPasswordEdit and security

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Tue Dec 26 22:48:14 GMT 2006

Le mardi 26 décembre 2006 22:17, Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> Hi, KPasswordEdit is using a char * internally to store the password. [...]
> [...] and if > there is no strong security reason i think we can just drop
> KPasswordEdit altogether for KDE4 and use QLineEdit.

Hi,
This topic has already been discussed.
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=113725406728802&w=2

In summary, for most of people (including me), the security added by char * is
worth, but qca QSecureArray has been mentioned

KPasswordEdit also change the echo mode depending KDE preference (one star/3
stars/no echo), and the at least the possibility to have "no echo" should be
kept.