KUrl(QString) fix

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Dec 20 22:05:44 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 18:52, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> David Faure schrieb:
> > On Wednesday 20 December 2006 18:30, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> >
> >> As result it looks to me that in kde code toLocalFile() should be used
> >> in every place where the local path of an url is used, not path()
> >>

> > Wow. That's a LOT of work...
> >

> May be a workaround on windows could be to call QUrl::toLocalFile()
> instead of QUrl::path() in KUrl::path()

This might be a solution, as long as u.setPath(u.path()) still works, i.e. doesn't change u.

> Unfortunally KUrl::path() is an inline function. :-(

So? We haven't released kde-4.0 yet, it can be made non-inline any Monday.
It is inline right now only because of the overload that takes an argument, but the intent
wasn't that KUrl::path would work any differently from QUrl::path. But since we already
disagree with QUrl about a few things (like the use of toString), I'm not actually
opposed to a solution where path() would work differently.

I can see how the path / toLocalFile separation makes sense now (on windows...),
but going ahead and changing all the kde code that uses urls sounds difficult.