location of developer tutorials

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Dec 20 21:32:23 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 13:58, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 4:18, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> > This is a good point. Generating tutorials from buildable code
> > makes a lot of sense.
>
> on paper, maybe. but as soon as one wants to actually teach people
> with it you'll find that an effective teaching text doesn't flow
> nicely from comments interspersed with code. not to mention there's
> no guarantee the comments-which-are-actually-an-article reflect the
> code as it gets changed unless one spends a lot of due diligence on
> it.

Indeed. One example for this that I discovered today when looking for
the API docs of qrand() (which doesn't exist although it is available
in qglobal.cpp) is the Qt cannonwhatever tutorial. In the text of the
tutorial they speak about including <stdlib.h> for using the rand()
function, but the code uses qrand() (which was introduced in Qt
4.2). :-)

Regards,
Ingo