location of developer tutorials

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Dec 19 13:07:08 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 3:59, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> But one point I'm missing is how it is made sure that the code used in the
> tutorials is correct and actually works. The only way to guarantee this is
> to have the code used for tutorials as compiled examples, like e.g. the Qt
> tutorial does it.

this is a fine idea. someone would need to do the upkeep on the compiled
examples, of course, but compile errors could be easily tracked with a
tinderbox somewhere.

that said, is it bad to have tutorials for older versions of KDE? a tutorial
might easily wish to show how to do it in kde x.y as well as x.++y

> How would we get compiled code into the Wiki?

pointing to a repository somewhere? of course now we're back to "can't easily
be editted" but the compile errors should help.

then again, we're seriously raising the bar of writing these things. remember,
these tutorials aren't writing themselves, in fact *we're* not even writing
them right now. i don't think making it harder to write a tutorial ("you also
have to have a compiling program to go with it") is a good way to go.

look at the kconfigxt tutorial. it's not comprehensive, but it's a good
introduction. note the lack of a compiled app. think of the additional work
that would have been involved to create such an app.

i really think this would make it much harder to get people to contribute.

> Keeping the content of the
> Wiki up-to-date and in sync with the code manually would be one option, but
> probably not one leading to quality results. When the code would be part of
> the API docs, tutorials could probably be extracted from working source
> code as extracting things from source is done by the API docs generation
> tools anyway.

a) API docs are not tutorials.
b) have you seen some of the examples in the headers? they often fall out of
date. so you'd have to extract the example, extract the code therein, build
that, note problems and get someone with svn access to edit it ..... and with
all the drawbacks of it not being communally editable and coming with an
additional time related price tag (e.g. recompiles)

coupling high level documentation with software development release cycles is
also a bit mind boggling. "oh, yeah, you'll get the new version of that
example when kde 4.0.2 is released next month."

> But it could also be something separate, for example tutorials could be
> written as C++ programs with the tutorial text embedded in comments or
> something like that and then a script could create beautiful web pages from
> that. That's more effort short-term, but would probably pay off in the long
> term.

no, it wouldn't. it would lead us directly back to where we are:

a non-easily editted set of documents with varying look and feel that would
require post-processing only some of us can or will do that aren't really
optimized for humans but for compilers and code processing tools.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se