New special effects library

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Tue Dec 19 14:47:56 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 09:18, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 14:07, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > So as an engineer you're attracted to names and you'd join KDE because
> > libraries have cool names? I'd expect engineers to look at technologies
> > not through their names but what they do
>
> With news sites, blogs, (paper)articles all giving attention to the new
> stuff, and the general idea that non-boring names tend to stick better in
> peoples minds.

And how does that apply to libraries at all? Are you saying that you will do
such aggressive marketing of KDE that everyone on the world will know every
KDE library name? Or are you saying that developers will come to KDE because
of a neat name of a library? I just don't believe any of it, even for a
second. They're names that the authors happen to like, don't try to give them
deep philosophical meaning. They're not applications, it just doesn't work
like that.
If you're a user and you're being bombed with a given name, sure you'll give
it a try. But if you're a developer - you don't use a library because you've
been bombed with marketing - you use a library because you have a particular
need for it and you keep using a library because it fullfills your
requirements.

> Well, I guess many people choose to look at the hip sounding
> libraries before the boring libs.

That's another factulation eh? (speculation made to be a fact).

> The question is if people will recall the kde3 FX library (which didn't
> have too much 'oomph') and disclaim this lib based on that perception.
>
> Renaming it to KGraphicsThatGetYouLaid or KSuperNova (be creative!) may
> help for those case.

You know I really don't find it all too funny. Should I be renaming it after
committing every fix as well so that people don't associate new version with
old bugs? (rhetorical)
Like I said in the beginning, it's my opinion, I just happen to prefer
libraries that somewhat represent what they do and if they follow some scheme
across environment even better. Now that's my opinion and you quoting me your
opinions and speculations really doesn't help me change it so just don't do
it.

Now having said that, I will most likely license kimagefx under bsd so you are
free to fork it just to be able to rename it, I just really don't want to be
a part of this process.