Color manipulation functions in kdelibs?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 13 21:15:05 GMT 2006

Cyrille Berger wrote:
>>> but then again no
>>> one blends one pixel with another. People blend drawables. For that we
>>> need a decent image manipulation framework in KDE. For now we don't have
>>> it, so the discussion imho is moot.
>> Actually, it is far from moot. In order to blend images, you have to
>> first be able to blend the pixels in the image. Guess what that means?
>> :-) Everything I have been talking about is the *foundation* of that
>> "decent image manipulation framework" that we don't have.
>
> I feel a litlle bit lost at what you are trying to achieve ? At the
> beginning of the thread, I got the feeling that you wanted blending
> color function for some accessiblity/usuability stuff, but now you are
> speaking of an image manipulation framework, which is a big undertaking.
> As there is more to image manipulation than color blending and
> converting. So please tell us what do you want to achieve so that we can
> find the best solution ?

No, the thread wandered off in that direction. :-)

I am trying to a: steer it back, while b: pointing out that the same
functions are potentially of more generic usefulness in the
aforementioned direction. Also c: it would be really cool if we
accomplished the original goal in a way that allowed blending colors in
all the ways people might blend pixels (also because that would be
necessary if we used this as a basis for b, which would be good from a
code reusability standpoint).

IOW your understanding is correct in that the problem that needs to be
solved is related to accessiblity/usuability, and also the simple need
of 'what color is halfway between X and Y'. I currently believe that a
good implementation is one that could additionally serve as a back-end
to image manipulation, but that is not one of my goals. Just forward
thinking.

--
Matthew