[Scim-devel] Proposal: unified input method/keyboard layout switching support for kde4

LiuCougar liucougar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 12:11:29 GMT 2006

On 12/12/06, Zhe Su <james.su at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   Following is my opinion on this issue:
>
>   Input method is some kind of lowlevel system service, all
> applications need it. So I think there should be a lower level generic
> input method framework which doesn't depends on any higher level
> windowing system, widget library or desktop environment.
>   Such kind of input method framework should have flexibility to
> support any kind of applications, any kind of GUI components which are
> based on different widget library, as well as any kind of existing
> input method engine systems, such as IIIMF, SCIM, UIM, M17N, etc.
>   Such kind of input method framework should be able to work with xkb
> or even replace xkb, so that we can deal with input method and
> keyboard issue in an unified way.
Sounds great

>   All applications and desktop environments can get benefit from such
> kind of input method framework, not only KDE4.
>   In such way, the only thing for desktop environments, such as
> KDE/GNOME, is to develop their own GUI components to make use of the
> low level input method framework.
>
>   That's what we (many input method experts from CJK) are working on,
> which is called IMBUS (Input Method BUS, inspired from D-BUS) project.
>   This project is still on very preliminary stage, so we still didn't
> announce it publicly. However, I'm working hard on it and the progress
> is impressive. Hope we can release the first prototype in middle of
> this year.
this year? you mean next year, here, right?
Will the API for this IMBUS published before that? As kde4 will
probably get out middle next year, I'd like to make sure that
something is included in kde4 which can then be ported to use IMBUS

http://www.liucougar.net
生于忧患,死于安乐
- Old Chinese adage