Mocups of focus hints for panes

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Mon Dec 4 22:36:25 GMT 2006

Hi Matthew!

Nice work.

I totally agree with adding new colours for the focus, but I believe those
should be available in the general colour configuration and for all styles.

In the HCI working group, we already discussed adding additional colour roles
to kcontrol. We have worked out a suggestion that serves the needs of
artwork, usability and accessibility. For example, extending the colour
schemes makes it possible to create colour schemes for users with visually
users. Currently those colour schemes break in most KDE applications because
of custom colours (e.g. KMail, Konqueror, Kate, Konversation, Kopete, ...)

You can find an outdated version of the document here:
http://amen-online.de/~olafschmidt/colors/colors.pdf
All the mockups for new or changed widgets have been much changed in the
meantime in cooperation with Ellen, and I will soon update that document
accordingly,

The complete list of suggested colour roles pairs (each with foreground and
background colour) for kcontrol is:

standard
window
button
tool tip

selection
focus
focussed selection

active window title
inactive window frame
active window title
inactive window frame

colour 2 (e.g. Link, Unread)
colour 3 (e.g. Link, Read)
colour 4 (e.g. New)
colour 5 (e.g. Error or Warning)
colour 6 (e.g. Trusted)
colour 7 (e.g. Encrypted)
colour 8 (e.g. Comment or Alternate List Background)

The idea is that the numbered colours can be used by applications that need
more colours than usual (e.g. KMail, Konqueror, Kate, Konversation,
Kopete...). They can be mixed with each other and with standard / window /
button / tool tip.

Olaf