RFC: Making focus information visible for panes

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Sun Dec 3 21:01:27 GMT 2006

Am Son Dez 3 2006 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> Because this way the user never needs to remember or check which pane
> has focus. He can simply press left/right to go to the previous/next
> message and simply press up/down to scroll the message without having
> to think about the focus. If the keyboard focus doesn't get in his way
> then he can much better focus on what he actually wants to do.

Actually, keyboard focus gets in his way, as the quick search line consumes
the left/right, shift, etc. shortcuts. So this nice paradigm of "no pane in
kmail has ever the focus" is not entirely true any more.

Quite often, i search for a message, switch to a different window, switch back
to kmail and forget that the quick search bar has the focus. I then press
space a few times to get to the next unread message, which unfortunately does
not work....

> The alternative is that you press up/down because you want scroll the
> message but unfortunately the folder list has focus so that you
> inadvertently switch to another folder.

This problem already appears with the quick search bar.

Cheers,
Reinhol

email: reinhold at kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/