Okular moving (covering parts of .pdfs)

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Dec 1 16:28:49 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 21:47, Kuba Ober wrote:
> > * covering unwanted sections with a black or white
> >   area
>
> ROTFL. You've made my day. One would think that only clueless bureaucrats
> think that way ;)

Thanks for the compliments.

> In order to remove content, you have to remove it, as in physically
> overwriting the bits of image bitmaps in the .pdf, and clipping, splitting
> and then removing the "hidden" paths. There's no other way.

That's why I named it "covering unwanted sections", see.

I know very well the difference between "covering" and "removing".
And I know to say "remove" when I mean "remove".

Use-cases may be quite simple:

 * printing only relevant parts of pages (leaving out ads from
   scanned magazine articles, or parts of articles continued from

 * showing only relevant parts on pages of a PDF presentation.
   (Get it.)

> There could be
> probably some postscript magic done to implement that, if noone did so yet.

Your surmising guesswork does not help anyone.

> I don't see how anyone would have the crazy idea that adding content will
> somehow remove it :)

But you hopefully can see now that you jumped to your own conclusion
without understanding what was expressed.

> It's a trivial matter to print the .pdf to a postscript
> file, and remove the obliterations by hand.

No, it's not. And if it is, may I send you a few example files and
ask you to do that trivial job for me? Can you also teach me to do
such trivials thing for myself? - Of course, I'll pay you for your
effort, according to the time required  (but it indeed needs to be
a trivial thing to do).

> Cheers, Kuba

Cheers,
Kurt