Notes related to LikeBack / KFeedbackWizard: KDE4-wide feedback tool [long]

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Fri Aug 11 22:09:21 BST 2006

Hello,
Nice to see such well crafted tool as LikeBack.

I recall there's also KFeedbackWizard -
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=20360 -delivered by Christian
Nitschkowski, my former coworker in the Kexi team. We planned to use it at
least for KOffice by default, but the idea needed some discussion and
polishing, so now it's delayed for 2.x.

I think it's valuable to get *more* info from users, and more fine-grained.
Someone calls this as spyware, but as FOSS users are getting the software
freely and _most_ of them are unable to "pay" for it even with bug reports -
there is data that can be obtained without consuming their time (thanks to a
machinery working in the background):

- every application's startup (can track use cases for the new forthcoming K
menu / Plasma UI)
- startup times
- activities like a selected sequences of actions, frequency of such actions
- crashes (backtraces reported always automatically after one initial agreement)
- system info (higher level of "spying") but also valuable, e.g. we can know
whether 64bit hardware is popular and what distributions are used and how well
the stuff is packaged (distr-specific crashes, yes!) --this is exactly what
pages of KFeedbackWizard contained

All this KDE-wide, usually not app-specific. There are usability-related
things tracked as well as things allowing to make beter technical decissions
(e.g. amount of RAM). What I also found valuable: the statistics are better
than nothing if we're trying to answer on elementary marketing question: how
is our user base looks like.

The the statistics are usable _even_ if biased because only these people will
be included in the charts:
1) people that are online, at least for a while, and
2) people that value KDE as a project and *trust* it (and trust the distro maker)

We can of course ask our users to enable the feedback machinery on the dot
from time to time and on any KDE / FOSS related web sited and related
conferences. As long as the tool is not intrusive (i.e. the question is
poppuing up once the KDE/distro is installed (hopefully in the welcome
screen), I don't think people will be annoyed.

Related TODO could be to make KDE users aware as soon as possible that
enabling the "feedback" option is in their very interest.

PS: Surprisingly, MS Office vendor added such a feedback tool even in Office
2003... and MS found this valuable (so the "community effort" worked even when
this is a closed source product)

PS2: It would be nice to have the functionality *always* enabled in KDE and
recommend for the distro makers *to keep* it. (yes, it's hard in a mixed
GNOME+KDE environment, like Novell's one - to solve that, maybe there should
be a common tool developed.. uuh things are getting complicated)

Where to start? After pros and cons are discussed, I'd like to propose pasting
the results to the KDE wiki as a TODO.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek