Preparations of KDE 4.0 Snapshot 1

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Aug 10 08:52:34 BST 2006

On Thursday 10 August 2006 02:22, Matt Rogers wrote:
> It seems silly to put together a snapshot of something that mostly
> doesn't work. Snapshot still implies release, which for most people,
> will imply working. I'm against the idea.

[just picked this email by random, so consider this a reply to the whole
thread, not to you Matt]

I think you guys are looking at this from a different perspective then you
should.  You are looking at it from the perspective of a accomplished
kdelibs developer. One that knows how to use svn and all that.
This is about release early, release often.

Look, same as Qt has snapshots and so do many many open source projects,
KDE should have a snapshot. Still without any guarantee and all that. But
this will definitely make the threshhold a bit lower for people using
kdelibs to switch to kde4 / qt4, give feedback etc.

If you have the believe that nobody in their right mind should actually be
creating an app that uses kdelibs - trunk (and this snapshot), then you
are right. We should not release.  But I assume thats not the case.

It would be really helpful to have a list of stuff that is still open for
TODO and thus should be considered to change before the next snapshot(s).

I support a snapshot.
--
Thomas Zander