KDE4: Making xdg-utils future-proof

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Sat Aug 5 16:21:33 BST 2006

On Saturday 05 August 2006 14:21, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday 05 August 2006 09:52, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > Well, kfmclient exists since KDE 1 as far as I know. (Therefore the name
> > KFM: KDE file manager.)
>
> I know, but it makes it less easy to find, because you can't just do
> kde<tab><tab> and get a list of all KDE commandline tools

Well, as far as I know, you could teach Bash's completition to do so too.
(Perhaps a sort of kfmclient --list-commands is needed so that Bash can
process the command list.)

> When I was looking for GNOME equivalents for doing the GNOME code paths of
> the xdg-utils scripts, their quite consistent naming scheme helped a lot.
>
> It would be nice if an independent software developer had the same "luxury"
> on KDE as well.
>
> > > come up with a new, more describing name for KDE4.
> > > (the GNOME folks use gnome-vfs-$action, e.g. gnome-vfs-copy)
> >
> > So personally I am not sure if we should drop this legacy such for the
> > sake of nice names.
>
> Unless we explicitly do not support installing KDE3 and KDE4 into the same
> prefix, we will have to rename them anyway.
>
> Moreover, creating new commandline tools would allow us to improve the
> tools consistencies, e.g. same names for common options, how subcommands
> are to be specified on the commandline, exit codes in common error
> conditions, etc

What I mean is that in the past , developer writers of non-KDE application
were told: "if you need something from KDE, e.g. browser, mailer, etc., call
kfmclient with the appropriate command and URL."

So personally I would find it better, if this tradition could be kept.

> I consider that an equivalent to cleaning up our APIs, including
> documentation (e.g. man pages) like we recommend/require Doxygen docs for
> C++ APIs.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Have a nice day!