KDE4: Making xdg-utils future-proof

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Aug 5 13:21:45 BST 2006

On Saturday 05 August 2006 09:52, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

> Well, kfmclient exists since KDE 1 as far as I know. (Therefore the name
> KFM: KDE file manager.)

I know, but it makes it less easy to find, because you can't just do
kde<tab><tab> and get a list of all KDE commandline tools

When I was looking for GNOME equivalents for doing the GNOME code paths of the
xdg-utils scripts, their quite consistent naming scheme helped a lot.

It would be nice if an independent software developer had the same "luxury" on
KDE as well.

> > come up with a new, more describing name for KDE4.
> > (the GNOME folks use gnome-vfs-$action, e.g. gnome-vfs-copy)
>
> So personally I am not sure if we should drop this legacy such for the sake
> of nice names.

Unless we explicitly do not support installing KDE3 and KDE4 into the same
prefix, we will have to rename them anyway.

Moreover, creating new commandline tools would allow us to improve the tools
consistencies, e.g. same names for common options, how subcommands are to be
specified on the commandline, exit codes in common error conditions, etc

I consider that an equivalent to cleaning up our APIs, including documentation
(e.g. man pages) like we recommend/require Doxygen docs for C++ APIs.

Cheers,
Kevin
--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>