Please test: changes in how Qt4 is found

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Apr 27 21:18:41 BST 2006

At 03:47 PM 4/27/2006, Zack Rusin wrote:
>On Thursday 27 April 2006 15:34, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> pkg-config doesn't exist on windows
>
>what makes you say that? there's at least a few version. That includes binary
>packages like:
>http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/pkg-config-0.20.zip

You can not seriously think that we can count on pkg-config being
installed on a windows box before you can have cmake successfully
find qt?  It maybe ported there, but I have never seen a single windows
machine that used it.

>> and several of the unix platforms (at least by default).
>
>What platforms are those?
Sun, HP, IRIX, Mac OSX, and even some linux systems.

You may want to look at this thread:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-buildsystem/2006-April/002223.html

If it was not possible to build/run qt applications on a machine that did
not have pkg-config, then I would say we should use it.  However, that is not
the case.  It is possible and even likely to have qt on a machine
that does not have pkg-config installed on it.  Given that, cmake can
not depend on pkg-config being around.  Since it is a requirement to
have a working qmake on any machine that has qt on it, and qmake can
give the information we need on any platform, then we have no choice
but to use qmake.

-Bill

-Bill