FEATURE: Startup sequence reorder

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Apr 25 12:58:12 BST 2006

On Sunday 23 April 2006 22:38, David Faure wrote:
> >  Pros: Startup may be really borken if people try without matching
> > kdelibs and kdebase (hello Debian), something may potentially start a bit
> > too late.
>
> Yep. Startup was completely broken when I installed kdelibs and didn't
> install kdebase yet. You had warned about that, but my machine locked up
> while compiling kdebase and after a reboot I couldn't start kde anymore so
> I had to finish compiling kdebase in the text tty before being able to
> start kde again.... I guess there's no chance to make this more robust,
> i.e. to make kde still start, although still slowly, in case only kdelibs
> is updated?

 Well, the startup-related code is more or less rewritten (rearranged rather),
so I guess I'd have to keep separate paths for both cases. On the other hand
the kdelibs part of the part is quite small, so I could try supporting
kdelibs-3.5.3+kdebase-3.5.2 (which should be the more sensible case anyway).

> But even if it's not possible, I'm not objecting to this being committed.

 One of the TWG people is supposed to approve it, not just "not object", that
doesn't count :). And is that including the splash changes?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org