Proposal: New module "kdecore"

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Apr 19 18:36:33 BST 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 17:12, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 12:47, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > For the sake of the argument, let me propose a complete radical approach:
> >
> > a) Move kdebase-corepps to kdelibs
> > b) Move the non-central KDE libraries to kdeapplibs or whatever other
> > name. This would include the PIM libraries Cornelius proposed in the
> > start of this thread, as well as convenience libraries like kdnssd,
> > kwallet, kspell2/sonnet, kutils, knewstuff.
>
> How do you define "non-central"? This doesn't appear to be a very clear
> criteria to me. It will also change over time and be quite subjective.
>
> Moving apps to kdelibs also doesn't solve the problem of having to compile
> code you don't need to be able to compile your own app.
>
> I very much prefer the separation from compile time dependencies from
> runtime dependencies.
>
> Having more specific library modules like kdepimlibs in my view also is
> better than a general kdeapplibs. This gives a clearer functional
> separation and provides more focus to the corresponding sub communities.

I think this almost comes down to splitting each module into an apps and a
libs module.
I don't know exactly about the state of Phonon, but e.g. with KDE3 there are
some libs in kdemultimedia which could very well be used without installing
the rest of kdemultimedia. Would make a kdemultimedia-libs.
Probably the same for koffice, kdeedu and kdegames. libkonq in kdebase is nice
too.

We could create two subdirs in each module: apps/ and libs/, and basically a
CMakeLists.txt there which just contains:

add_subdirectory(libs)
add_subdirectory(apps)

Bye
Alex