A little review of kdecore & kdeui

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Apr 11 15:16:08 BST 2006

Kuba Ober wrote:
>This sounds dangerously like what M$ has been telling everyone for
> decades now. I don't imply that TT is similarly evil. It's just a wrong
> thing to say methinks. It's hard to develop stuff based on
> undiscloseable insights. TT has a very good policy of not announcing
> vapourware, and I bet that's the way it's supposed to be for everyone's
> well being.
>
>I applaud TT for willing to get Qt 4.2 in better shape from KDE's
> viewpoint, but vapourware by definition doesn't exist. There's nothing
> wrong in progressively removing code from KDE as Qt accretes
> functionality. It's better to do it once stuff actually gets into Qt,
> though, so that app developers can still be productive in the meantime
> and can embrace existing KDE features, as opposed to waiting for
> vapourware to happen.

Yes, perfectly.

I am not advocating removing the code support from KDE now and depend on
Qt to reintroduce it later. What I am saying is that there are certain
things we'd like to see moved into Qt, both as KDE developers and as
Trolltech employees. That's wishful thinking, plus a bit more, since we
can actually do something about it.

But we cannot promise them for a fact: we can only promise to try and this
is what we did.

If Qt 4.2 gets a brand-new text completion mode that serves KDE's
purposes, we'll switch to it. If it doesn't, then we don't. The same for
everything else that was in my list of "rollback into Qt".

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway