A little review of kdecore & kdeui

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Apr 11 14:00:23 BST 2006

> >I realize now that your list was more in terms of "what to do in Qt",
> >rather than "how to reorganize kdelibs now". My idea was rather to
> > discuss kdelibs reorganization, mainly, so obviously the angle is
> > different (I was basing my thoughts on what Qt does now - or will do
> > for sure in 4.2 - rather than on what Qt might do one day ;)
>
> Not exactly... Ben and I have some more insight on future Qt development
> than we are allowed to disclose. And we have some power of influence on
> shape its future.

This sounds dangerously like what M$ has been telling everyone for decades
now. I don't imply that TT is similarly evil. It's just a wrong thing to say
methinks. It's hard to develop stuff based on undiscloseable insights. TT has
a very good policy of not announcing vapourware, and I bet that's the way
it's supposed to be for everyone's well being.

I applaud TT for willing to get Qt 4.2 in better shape from KDE's viewpoint,
but vapourware by definition doesn't exist. There's nothing wrong in
progressively removing code from KDE as Qt accretes functionality. It's
better to do it once stuff actually gets into Qt, though, so that app
developers can still be productive in the meantime and can embrace existing
KDE features, as opposed to waiting for vapourware to happen.

Do I make sense?

Cheers, Kuba