Suspicous code in kdelibs-3.5.2

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Apr 6 08:04:07 BST 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 06:41:55PM -0500, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 April 2006 19:21, you wrote:
> > can do, sure. which ones do, though? if it's not an issue people
> > actually run into, then i don't think it is worth rewriting that
> > particular bit of code.
>
> Pretty much any RISC machine. Reasonably speaking, any RISC machine
> still in use (UltraSPARC, PowerPC, HP-PA -- i think KDE works on
> HP/UX). I don't know if KDE works on IRIX 6.5 on R/6000. :-)
>
> Solaris does on both UltraSPARC and X86/X64 (Opteron). I'm almost
> certain MacOS X on PowerPC and AIX do too.
>
> I don't know if Intel EMT64 (Xeon/Pentium 4 && friends) are NUMA. Need
> input from an Intel guru.

yes? and how many compilers do you know that would be even remotely able
to optimize such cases? i'd be too interested in knowing how they do it.
honestly, i think trying to apply NUMA as an example here is a dead end.
using complex structures transparently might be used on segmented
architectures where offset calculations with segments are impossible
(e.g., i286 (16 bit) protected mode). i don't think this applies to any
architecture [prospectively] supported by kde.