[kde-promo] Coordination of releases

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Apr 2 18:31:33 BST 2006

I've been put off a little by the way the past (mainly the x.y.z) releases
have been coordinated. Therefore, I'd like to propose a simple procedure to
follow.

What we need is the following:

1) A list with changes between the last and the upcoming release
2) Clear indication of dates known to those who are preparing the release
3) Clear responsibilities: Who does what?

ad 1):
Carsten Niehaus has been putting together a list which was a great help with
identifying keypoints for the press release. That has been a great help. I'd
like to encourage developers to work with Carsten there. Also, he probably
needs some help with this. So please, everybody supporting Carsten with
creating the list of changes.

ad 2):
It'd be good if the release team (TWG, right?) could send a reminder one week
before tagging a x.y.z release to kde-promo so we're able to start creating
release notes. For x.y releases, this should be one month, preferably around
the feature freeze.

ad 3):
The fact that no official email to announce the release of KDE 3.5.2 has been
sent to kde-announce yet probably shows that the responsibilities are unclear
at this point. Coolo has sent those emails in the past, but I figure, we can
make that part of the Marketing Team's task as well. The responsibilities as
I have them in mind would be the following:

- Initiating release preparations by sending a note to kde-promo
- Creating a list of changes: TWG
- Preparation of release notes: MWG, that includes:
	- Distilling key-features / key-messages
	- Posting notes on the dot
	- Sending announcement email to kde-announce
	- Doing whatever is necessary to make the release known to the public
- Actually releasing: TWG, with close coordination with MWG

Note: Those are the people / groups responsible, it does not mean that those
have to be the people who do the actual work, but the people who should take
care that it happens, and if not, to ring a bell and call for assistance.

On release day, we could coordinate (IRC?) that the release will happen, and
at what time. This way the dot story, kde-announce email and website receive
the release announcement all at once.

We, the Marketing Team have already worked out most of the things necessary
for a properly announced release. If you're interested, please read [SKO].
The plan de campagne is to use that documentation to create procedures for
x[.y[.z]] releases.

Please help us in doing so, so we make our software releases reflect the
quality of the code we've put together. Can we agree on that kind of
procedure, including responsibilities? If not, what would be the proposed
changes? Are there other considerations, I forgot to mention?

[SKO] http://spreadkde.org/handbook/release_promotion
--
sebas

Let's put it this way: if you need to ask a lawyer whether what you do
is "right" or not, you are morally corrupt. Let's not go there. We don't base
our morality on law. - Linus Torvalds