A Discipline of APIDOX Commits

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri Sep 23 20:39:15 BST 2005

One thing to worry about when dealing with APIDOX is the possibility that they
_don't_ get forward-ported from 3.5-BRANCH (this is, after all, the branch
that will be KDE's stable API for the next year or so, so it deserves some
APIDOX work) to trunk. If APIDOX fixes aren't forward-ported, then when 3.5
is "done", then we get to start all over with 4.0 having useless APIDOX
because -- it's been shouted here and there -- real developers don't do dox.
They smoke users and snort drain-o instead. That would mean that 4.0 will
have the APIDOX that are broken _now_ in 3.5, and then with lots of
un-APIDOX-ed changes to the API as well. So I'd like to make an effort to
forward-port all APIDOX fixes from 3.5 to 4.0, semi-automatically.

To do that, I need your help. And a smattering of discipline (see "drain-o",
above).

I'd like to ask that all commits that fix or add APIDOX in KDE 3.5 branch have
a commit message that starts with DOX: . That will make them easy to spot for
me and I can forward-port in bunches then. Obviously, things that don't apply
to KDE 4.0 won't be ported -- I expect patch(1) to help with that.

And remember, try not to mix APIDOX commits (which, after all, are _just
comments_ and don't affect functionality) with other kinds of commits (which
might do just about anything). That too will keep forward-porting easier.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot