[KDE4] KNotification

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Sat Sep 17 10:48:53 BST 2005

[Olivier Goffart]
> It may be both on kttsd, and on application configuration.

Usability people usually advise against having the same configuration in two
different kcontrol modules.

> That's the case with every notifycaiton kind.
> With sounds, popups, or ....
> We have to take good default.

No, in this case it cannot be solved with a good default. By default, no
notifications need to be read. And normnally, the users don't need to be
bothered with tts configuration stuff in the notification dialog.

But for partially sighted users, it is important to be able to switch that
feature on easily. That's why we have a single checkbox in kttsd to read all
notifications.

Anyway, this technical switch does not demand any changes in the user
interface at all. The KNotification class can simnply always send a singnal
to kttsd, and if it isn't installed or is not configured to read the
notification, then it can simply ignore it.

Another possibility would be to always use the new notification deamon. (If
that is technically useful.)

Olaf