Moving ThreadWeaver to kdelibs

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Sep 13 22:01:13 BST 2005

Zack Rusin wrote:
>That's interesting because if I recall correctly that was not the
>decision you reached when you were talking to Andreas.
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong, you complained that there's no proxy support in
>QtNetwork to which Andreas said he'll implement it.

There's more than that. But the bottom line is that we can't even consider
doing that before Qt 4.1 is out. For the moment, I can't even consider
deriving because there are some things that are not overridable (down to
QIODevice, in fact).

I guess I'll have to talk to him again and see if we can come up with a
better plan.

>Meaning we'll have two networking libraries that do the same thing. One
>maintained commercially by a company, the other maintained in sparetime
>by Thiago. Again, correct me if I'm wrong here but what's to even
>discuss here?

KNetwork, in fact, does more than QtNetwork in the lower-level classes.
What KNetwork doesn't do and QtNetwork does is replaced by KIO in KDE. So
the combination of KNetwork and KIO completely replaces QtNetwork.

The only thing lacking in KNetwork wrt to QtNetwork now is Win32 support.
We already have interface enumeration, SOCKS- and HTTP-proxy support and
I've been told this morning that UPnP is being worked on. We also have
SRV-lookup and Unix-domain sockets. And, the source of this thread:
multiple parallel name lookups.

About maintainability, hello? Commercial backing by a company has never
been an issue for Open Source. Sure, it's an outstanding thing when it
happens, but not at all mandatory. On the other hand, I have maintained
it and its predecessor for 4 years now, but who knows about my future
jobs?

So, again, I'll talk to Andreas about the features that we require and
that QtNetwork doesn't provide. After all, KNetwork was *written* to be
part of Qt4 in the first place, over 2 years ago.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.