[RFC] Future of "messages" targets

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Tue Sep 13 12:01:03 BST 2005

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 11:40, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 September 2005 11:25, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > I suggest that we use Bash scripts instead, and I suggest the name
> > "makemessages.sh" for those scripts.
>
> No. No no no no no. You may as well suggest we use CMU CLISP. Making use of
> a specific shell instead of POSIX is just a really bad idea. If you write
> "shell" every place you wrote "Bash" then I'd be willing to consider it.

It is internal for Scripty only, so it is the same situation as currently. I
am not inventing something from scratch.

(I know that Bash is not standard on non-Linux systems.)

>Or
> if you write "Python", that's ok as well since we have a Python dependency
> for building _anyway_ in KDE4. But don't go adding new dependencies to
> unnecessary crap.

No, Python is not useful at this stage, as its scripts would have tons of
system calls (or whatever this call is exactly called in Python).

> A fully automatic approach is to be preferred.

It will never be fully automatic, especially when there are data that needs to
be extracted "by hand".

> Look at the apidox things --
> there's a single line to add to Makefile.am and the tools figure it out.
> The existing extractrc stuff should (have) be factored into something like
> the admin/Doxyfile.am .

I do not mind to simplify the task in long-term but we have now only what we
have now.

Have a nice day!