Moving ThreadWeaver to kdelibs

Mirko Boehm mirko at kde.org
Tue Sep 13 09:49:22 BST 2005

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 01:17, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> documentation: there is some API documentation, but it isn't complete. and
> an introductory article (perhaps based on your aKadmey presentation?) would
> be invaluable. in fact, i'd like to see intro articles for every such
> component.
Well, there is some lengthy introductary text in the doxygen documentation
(which has to be integrated in the kdelibs docs). Create it manually with
"doxygen doxygen.cfg" for now.

I plan to add a walkthrough for a simple application to it.

> test coverage: there is a Tests/ directory, but the programs in there don't
> seem to be unit tests but rather example apps? unit tests would be required
> to make it into kde-components
The directory does not contain unit tests, but code examples.

> API review: i don't know how much API review threadweaver has undergone.
> can you point us to projects using threadweaver now, or the opinions of
> others who have looked at it? (i haven't done anywhere near a thorough look
> at it yet, so if you smell a little hypocrisy in this point, you're right
> ;)
You are welcome to review the API. I did, and I like it, of course :-) The API
is rather minimal, which is on purpose. I put quite some time in creating a
design that is simple, but extensible at the same time. It should only be
extended after the library has been used and some experience has been
reported.

The Job constructor with the dependancy argument looks unusual, better
suggestions are welcome.

Unit tests should be added with time. The Test folder could be renamed to
examples, to be more clear. Also, it should only be compiled with make test
or whatever.

--Mirko.
--
KDE e.V.: http://www.kde.org/areas/kde-ev/