status on the build system

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Sep 12 20:33:07 BST 2005

Hi,

On Friday 09 September 2005 11:05, tnagyemail-ml at yahoo.fr wrote:
> > what's the status of scons/bksys? I have
> > questions coming from people
> > willing to start compiling kdelibs on win32, so
>
> Though several folders compile already: dcop, libltdl,
> kdefx .., there are several unanswered questions about
> the new framework:
> * do we want one huge config.h or several config.h per
> module ?
> * are the api for building the programs satisfactory ?
> * how to make the admin/ folder even more modular ?
> * how intelligent the tools should be ? what kind of
> helpers can be added to make things easier ?
>
> I have started to write some documentation in
> trunk/KDE/kdelibs/bksys/design
> have a look at the questions at the bottom and feel
> free to give your opinion.

I'll have a look at it.
Since I was away the last three weeks, what's the current state of kdelibs ?
What compiles and with which tools is it compiled currently ?

Right now I'm undecided what to do with my cmake stuff. On my own box I have a
almost the complete kdelibs 3.x configured, compiled, linked and installed
using cmake, so the hardest parts are done.

It wasn't easy to do since I didn't know much about the KDE build system. So,
I could
a) finish building kdelibs 3.x using cmake
b) cancel this and try to build kdelibs 4 using cmake, for this I'd like to
commit it to svn
c) forget cmake for kde svn modules and just create a cmake
package/module/addon for building kde applications/plugins/ioslaves etc.

Is there any interest in an alternative build system additionally to scons ?

Bye
Alex