New i18n interface for KDE 4

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Sun Sep 11 16:35:51 BST 2005

On Sunday 11 September 2005 15:51, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> > [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> > There is a (big) difference about creating clear member functions and
> > about tweaking with vital functions of a class in a way that is not
> > guaranteed to be supported by all C++ compilers.
> >
> > (But I will not be the one who will maintain it. I just want to avoid
> > you a potential nightmare. But as my father often used to say:
> > "Experience cannot be transmitted.")
>
> I don't see much of a maintenance problem just because of overloaded
> operator new.

You might want to look harder :-).

> It is a standard language feature

It's also one of those which got C++ it's reputation of a
highly-complex-makes-it-easy-to-hang-yourself-while-shooting-yourself-in-the-foot
language. I agree with Nicolas, overloading new() is not something you do
casually.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.telegraph-road.org