New i18n interface for KDE 4

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Thu Sep 8 16:46:55 BST 2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> > Python is a big problem, due to its strict white space rules, making it
> > unsuitable for being put in PO files. (KBabel would need special support for
> > it, which will not available for KDE 3.5.x.)
> >
> > Perl could be used. The only problem that I see is that there seems to be a
> > move away from Perl (to Python) in KDE. (Also real Unicode-compatibility in
> > strings requires Perl 5.8.)
>
> We will also have strong support of Javascript which appears pretty perfect for you

No surprise that I was going to say the same. JavaScript is purely Unicode
based (even the identifiers can have non-ascii names), easy to learn, runs
in a safe sandbox and our implementation is pretty leight weight. If
desired I'd even volunteer to implement an even leighter version
supporting a language subset.

> - especially as kjs only relies on Qt.

Not even that.

Harri.