Fwd: Re: Switching to QtTestLib for unit tests

Dawit Alemayehu adwa at cox.net
Thu Sep 8 04:49:37 BST 2005

On Wednesday 07 September 2005 19:50, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 September 2005 05:23, Brad Hards wrote:
> > When it comes down to it, writing unit tests is a professionalism issue,
> > not an availability of tools issue. If people are too lazy to install
> > QtTestLib, then writing tests isn't all that likely.
>
> every extra step makes it that much harder, and therefore less likely, that
> people will write and use unit tests. we need to make it as _simple as
> possible_. anything that makes it harder in the least works against this
> goal.

There is no guarantee that if you "make it as _simple as possible_" people
would add test cases for their libs or use existing test cases to prove the
correctness of their code. This has been proven time and time again. AFAIC,
asking people to download another module once to run unit tests makes much
more sense than duplicating the code/effort every which way...

--
Regards,
Dawit A.