Removing icons from KDE 4 Menus

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sun Sep 4 13:08:33 BST 2005

On Sunday 04 September 2005 13:59, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Scott Wheeler wrote:
> >*) Really, people do still use 800x600.  My mom does.  My dad does too.
> > They complain when I set their TFTs to the native resolution of
> > 1280x1024 and quickly change them back to 800x600 because it's easier
> > for them to read. (Granted, they don't use KDE, but...)
>
> I know people still use 800x600. But, just like you pointed out above,
> they are doing that because they are using broken systems that don't
> change the DPI as they should.
>
> If they were using KDE with a properly set-up X server, changing the
> resolution from 800x600 to 1280x960 would have no effect on the text's
> apparent size. So, if they can read at 800x600, they can read at higher
> resolutions.
>
> So, this argument is wrong.

I thought about putting in a section anticipating this, but then I decided
that it wasn't relevant.

The question isn't whether or not people who do this have the "correct"
behavior.  That's pretty irrelevant.  The question is if they will continue
to do so.  Pending a definitive "no" I think it's safe to assume that we
still need to support them.

-Scott

relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
--Richard Feynman