Removing icons from KDE 4 Menus

Kenneth Wimer wimer at suse.de
Sat Sep 3 22:56:15 BST 2005

* Nadeem Hasan <nhasan at nadmm.com> [Sep 03. 2005 20:55]:
> On Saturday 03 September 2005 8:07 am, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> > * Andras Mantia <amantia at kde.org> [Sep 02. 2005 21:46]:
> > >
> > > I'm sorry, but this is not a real argument. If they don't want to do,
> > > we cannot force them, but just because it requires some work, we should
> > > not remove it.As David and I said before: they really help.
> >
> > Do you have any statistics to support this or is this just an opinion?
>
> Since you are advocating a change, the burden of proof falls on you. Where
> are your statistics?

As the others, I was only stating my personal opinion, which is in no
way a good representation of all user cases.

Before being able to collect statistics I guess we would need to define
our user base first - perhaps a group of tasks for each possible
user-case would win more approval than the persona based approach which,
in my experience tends to be less popular with developers.

I am sure that a few of the usability guys and gals could step in now
and make me look stupid in two sentences, but in the end my point is
that there are more issues to be solved before we can even begin to work
on providing statistics but that the work is starting. Hopefully there
will be answers for this and many more things soon.

So for now, I give in. Leave 'em in until we really know more since
change for the sake of change is simply bad but in return I would like
ask for one thing - lets remove at least three configure option entries
from the konqueror settings menu. I am not saying to remove the
functionality, but to reduce the number of repetitive entries, or can
anyone tell me that this is not evil?

Bye,
Ken
--