Defaulting to "Icons on Buttons"

Hans Oischinger hans.oischinger at h3c.de
Fri Sep 2 18:42:54 BST 2005

On Friday 02 September 2005 19:04, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> <quote>
> I also hope we'll reduce if not even eradicate icons from applications
> menus and context menus.
> </quote>
>
> From: http://appeal.kde.org/wiki/Oxygen

> > That is a very convenient way to learn what action is associated
> > with an icon.
> I too find that it is the wrong way.
Maybe the most important/most used actions could have icons. You'll have to
admit that menus where all actions have icons don't provide the same "action
recognition effect" but look crowded and inconsistant, especially when using
too much different colors or details on their small size.

Speaking of buttons I really like the green/red coloring of Cancel and
Apply/OK, it helps you to find the right button without searching for it by
reading all text.
Then again, these two icons are very simple and are also bigger than the menu
icons.