[kde-artists] default artwork for 3.5

Kenneth Wimer wimer at suse.de
Thu Sep 1 16:37:53 BST 2005

Hi all,

Time to end this thread..

I did not question anyones integrity. I did not accuse anyone of
anything. I did not suggest that we remove the artists website. I was
unhappy that we spent hours discussing this stuff only to have the
decision that I thought that we reached on IRC to be rescinded in favor
of the results of the kde-artists site poll.

As already stated, the results of this poll should be an indicator of
the acceptance/quality of artwork, not the deciding factor as to what we
use in KDE. In this sense the website serves a very important purpose as
long as the statistics gathered from it are realiable and help KDE.

I think of the artists site as a forum for discussing and collaborating
on new ideas for artwork which will hopefully attract new members and
serve as a starting point for them to work on KDE. I see KDE-look as a
platform for "end-stage" graphics. So, when you are done discussing
ideas, etc. on the kde-artists site you can post your "final" works on
kde-look.org.  Unfortunately there is little connection between the two
sites until now. I suggest improving this.

Sooo....back to wallpapers: I will state my case again, in order to
clear things up.

The only objections I have to using the new wallpaper is that they
include new graphical elements which appear nowhere else in KDE.
Changing things for the sake of change only dilutes the overall
appearance and quality. Very honestly, this would not be the first time
we have done things like this but hopefully the last.

And as far as leadership goes...  There is are good reasons for having a
maintainer for artwork but such a position has a different role as a
software maintainer (although there are many things in common). At this
years akademy (now) we are working on a several new ideas for
interaction design and the artwork included therein.  None of this can,
at this point in time, realisticaly be discussed in a mailing list or
website due to several reasons, such as the complexity and the
conceptual nature of the ideas. As an analogy, think of a new program:
the developer holds his stuff back until he has reached a stage at which
he can release at least a primitive, basic version. Otherwise things
fall apart from the beginning.

Bye,
Ken

P.S. posting IRC logs and personal emails to this list is a no-no and
the quickest way to get kicked. Please, let us all refrain from doing
this.
--
Kenneth Wimer